Saturday, September 18, 2010

Outcasts United

Since when do college students have summer reading? I asked this to myself during orientation when we were handed the book Outcasts United. I thought we would be done with summer reading now that we are out of high school, but I was wrong. I didn’t know what to expect when I started reading this book. I was nervous it would be a book I wasn’t interested in and that I would have a hard time reading it, which wasn’t the case. I thought it was a great story with many learning experiences in it.
I went to the talk with the author of the novel, Warren St. John. I thought he made the talk exciting and entertaining. I was interested with what he was saying and the stories he was sharing. The stories he talked about were interesting and intriguing. He talked about writing his first book and how that led to writing his second book, Outcasts United. When Warren was talking about the book he asked, “How did kids from different countries connect and play as a team?” He said it was a common goal to win. The refugees that moved to Atlanta, Georgia, which is where the book takes place, all found something in common…soccer. Soccer united them and made them feel more at home. Their soccer team is called the Fugees, who is actually coached by Luma who moved to America from another country just like the fugees. They got to make friends from different countries and connect with them through soccer. I could never imagine what the refugees felt when they had to leave their country and move to another one. Overall, I thought Warren St. John did an excellent job writing this novel explaining what the refugees went through and adjusting to living in America.  
The Fugees

No comments:

Post a Comment