Thursday, September 9, 2010

What Technology Can Do To You

When we were assigned the readings, I was terrified. I thought it was going to be so much work and that I would have trouble understanding them. Although some of them were a little confusing to me, it was not nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. I enjoyed reading most of them and learned some useful information. One of the articles I found interesting was the “10,000 Hours for Success”. I found that I could relate to it because I do gymnastics and have spent 10,000 hours if not more practicing. They say the more you practice what you do, the more likely you are to be successful. I find this true because if I didn’t practice all the hours I did, I would not be able to do what I do.


The one article I found to be the most interesting is the “Your Brain on Computers”. I read three of the articles which are “The Risks of Parenting While Plugged In”, “Digital Devices Deprive Brain of Needed Downtime”, and An Ugly Toll of Technology: Impatience and Forgetfulness”. All of these articles talk about how technology like cell phones and computers are influencing people. Parents are ignoring their children and focusing on their devices. Not only do these devices distract people, but it deprives the brain of downtime to rest. I know when I’m relaxing I will either be on the computer or watching T.V. I just learned that while you do that, your brain is not resting. So next time when I just want to relax, I will think twice before I jump to go on my computer or turn the T.V. on.

No comments:

Post a Comment